I have not been successful with quiches in the past but this one came out quite well! This is the perfect recipe for a spring lunch with a rocket salad…
- Jus Rol short crust pastry (pre-rolled)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 6 eggs
- 300ml milk
- 200g feta
- large handful spinach
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 20g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 200C.
- Lightly grease a shallow tin. If necessary, roll out the pastry a little more so that it is about 5cm larger than the tin. Drape the pastry over the tart case so that the pastry hangs over the sides. Press the pastry around the edge of the tin and the trim any excess.
- Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes. This is to ensure the pastry doesn’t shrink in the oven (I wish I had been told this on my first few pastry attempts).
- Scatter the cubed squash over a baking tray, drizzle with oil, season and sprinkle with thyme sprigs. Roast for 20 minutes or until soft and just starting to crisp around the edges.
- Once the pastry has been chilled, cover with baking beans or another weight and bake for 15 to 20 mins.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and slowly whisk in milk, spinach and half the feta until well combined. Season the mixture and add the nutmeg.
- Cover the pastry base with the roasted squash, then pour over the egg mixture. Scatter with hazelnuts and the remaining feta and return to the oven for 40 minutes or until set.
Zero waste tip
Depending on the size of your tin you may have some egg mixture leftover, if this is the case don’t waste it! Fry it in a small pan and serve on toast for some posh scrambled eggs with chilli flakes and sliced avocado…