I made this recipe for my family for the first time a few days ago and it was a HIT. Admittedly food is more interesting in lockdown now that it is one of the only memorable parts of the day BUT I will still take the compliment…
You can use almost any veg you have for this recipe, as long as it roasts nicely and tastes good! The recipe below is based on the vegetables my family had left at the end of the week but similar amounts of anything tasty will do! Aim to have three different veggies even if only in small quantities, just for variety.
Serves: 2 (easily doubled)
- 1 pack dry gnocchi (500g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Dried mixed herbs, basil or oregano
- 1/2 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/4 butternut squash, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 aubergine, cut into chunks
- 1/2 pack purple sprouting broccoli
- Heat oven to 200C. Tip gnocchi into a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for two minutes and then drain. Skip this step if you are using fresh gnocchi.
- In a large, high-sided baking tray toss the gnocchi and your chosen veg with the oil and dried herbs. Season. Leave out anything that needs a shorter roasting time and add later (I added the broccoli for the final 20 minutes so that the leaves didn’t burn).
- Roast for 35-40 mins or until the veg are all cooked through and the gnocchi slightly crisp. Serve immediately, scattered with any of the additional ingredients below. The gnocchi dries out and doesn’t make for particularly good leftovers so be sure to eat the lot!
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegan pesto mixed with 1/2 tbsp olive oil, drizzled over the top
- 50-75g seeds (I used pumpkin and sunflower)
- 1-2 tsp chilli flakes
- Fresh basil, torn
This is also great with kale (added 5-7 mins before the end), courgettes, sweet potato, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, pumpkin or whole garlic cloves mmmm…