I’m really not a big Valentine’s Day person but I think everyone needs a good excuse to jazz things up this year! Instead of anything typically ‘romantic’, I think the best food to have with loved ones (be that for Valentine’s / Galentine’s / Palentine’s) is something you have to share – sharing is caring after all!
So here is my idea for a ‘cheats’ hummus sharing plate studded with pink pomegranate seeds and pickled red onion for some classic Valentine’s appeal! I’ve tried to make it as simple as possible while still feeling like it involves just that little bit of extra effort for you to impress your loved one. I hope you like it and feel inspired!
If you’ve come here through your Sculpt With Sasha membership then don’t forget to check out this week’s Self Love workouts! Whether you’re loving yourself, your pet, best friend, boyfriend, partner, wife, girlfriend, husband, soulmate or sibling make sure you share some good food and look after each other this chilly February!
Pickled red onion
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 200ml warm water
- 100ml cider or red wine vinegar
- 1 red onion, sliced as thinly as possible
- Pour the warm water and sugar into a jug and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Then add in the salt and vinegar.
- Pack the red onion into a clean jar and pour the pickling mixture over the top. Leave overnight and keep for up to 3 weeks. Use to decorate all of your delicious food – they’re great in wraps, salads and on top of daal!
- 1/2 cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Heat the oven to 200C. Spread the cauliflower on a baking tray, cover with spices, a pinch of salt and a good glug of oil. Use your hands to coat all of the cauliflower florets.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes or until soft enough to get a fork through. If you are including falafel in your meal make sure you sync up the oven timings with the cauliflower – you can pop them on the same baking tray to save space and washing up – see the ‘To serve’ section for more.
[Don’t forget to roast the leaves! They are delicious with oil and salt and make the perfect side dish!]
- 2 handfuls of spinach, shredded
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 spring onion
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Pinch of fresh parsley, chopped
- Pinch of fresh coriander, chopped
- Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and toss. Season with salt and pepper and set to one side until serving.
[Shredding the spinach gives it a different texture and makes it absorb the flavours of the dressing more easily]
- 1 pack 8-10 falafels or halloumi
- 1 tbsp hummus per person
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- Flat breads, naan breads, wraps or anything else used for dipping
- If using falafel, heat the oven to 200C. Warm the falafel according to packet instructions. If using halloumi, heat a frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Slice the halloumi to desired thickness and fry for 3-5 minutes or until lightly golden on each side, turning half way through.
- Warm any flatbreads you are using according to packet instructions.
- Spread or dollop, depending on your style, a tablespoon of hummus on each plate or on one sharing platter. Top the hummus with warm falafel or halloumi or both. Spoon the spinach salad next to the hummus. Tip the cauliflower onto the plate and top with pomegranate and pickled onions.
- Enjoy with flatbreads or wraps and eat with your hands! Nothing says romance like hummus under your finger nails and stuffing your faces!